Triple H is quick to point out that Matt Hardy didn’t invent cinematic matches but he does recognize the impact he has had on them. He also noted the importance of Jeremy Borash’s contributions to the growing genre of pro-wrestling during a recent interview with Metro UK.

“It’s a funny thing, that people say all of a sudden there’s this moment with the cinematic thing that happened,” Triple H said. “But people were doing that 20 years ago.”

HHH would continue to use Mankind vs the Rock’s Halftime Heat match and Booker T vs Steve Austin in a grocery store as examples.

Matches filmed like movies have been taking place for decades, but recent years have seen science fiction and fantasy-inspired elements creep into such segments. This was the case with both Matt Hardy’s Broken Universe in TNA and with Lucha Underground and its head writer, the recently-released Chris DeJoseph.

Jeremy Borash’s work behind-the-scenes with the Broken Universe in Impact before he was hired by WWE was praised by Triple H during the interview.

“Jeremy’s an incredible talent with an eye for storytelling and an eye for image and everything like that. Man, I can’t tell you how much I enjoy working with him.”

Finally, Triple H certainly wants to correct people who say Hardy and Borash invented the genre but he is also willing to admit the two took cinematic matches to another level.

“That’s not to negate the Matt Hardy, Jeremy Borash thing that you mentioned,” he said to the Metro reporter. “That took it to another level. There’s all steps to this – but to say it all started there, to me, I’d say it’s not accurate.”