The Invisible Hand Don Callis recently appeared on the Talk’n Shop podcast. The IMPACT Wrestling EVP joined Gallows & Anderson to discuss a number of topics, including the ongoing ‘Forbidden Door’ angle between NJPW, AEW, IMPACT et al as well as some other interesting items of worth.

One of the pieces of information revealed by Callis revolved around the time that WCW went out of business back in 2001.

Before World Championship Wrestling was bought by the then WWF for a measly sum in 2001? Eric Bischoff had arranged to buy the company alongside Fusient Media. Unfortunately the deal did not go through, as Bischoff and Fusient would not get any television time on the TNT/Warner network. There has not been any pro wrestling on TNT up until AEW was created just a couple of years ago.

Don Callis said that he was offered a job and was going to come in to the new WCW in 2001. “In 2001 when WCW was about to go out of business, I had a gig lined up with Bischoff” Callis revealed on Talk’n Shop.

“Joey Styles and I were gonna go in and be the commentators [for WCW]. I was gonna make more money than I ever made, but that deal fell through. And all of a sudden, it was like, I went from being able to leverage three companies (WWF, WCW and ECW) to a monopoly. And I knew when a monopoly happens, guys on top like Jericho do well, but the guys underneath, don’t do well.”