Matt & Nick Jackson, the Young Bucks, are now “bad guys” in AEW. They have aligned with Don Callis, changed their in-ring style, changed their gear, and have made what some might call a “full heel turn.”

The Young Bucks were recently interviewed by TSN, AEW’s Canadian broadcast partner. During the interview, Matt Jackson spoke about what wrestling fans are used to as it concerns “babyfaces & heels” in wrestling.

“I always want to be involved in weird, nuanced, multi-layered stories and maybe sometimes the subtleties that I like to have in my storylines won’t translate with a pro wrestling audience,” Matt Jackson said to TSN. “Pro wrestling audiences are so conditioned to [the idea] that it’s good or it’s bad. It’s babyface or it’s heel, and that’s the way it’s been historically forever and how dare you change that or try something differently because it’s like you’re breaking the laws of wrestling. It’s one of those things where you have to try to find a balance, where you want to tell compelling stories, but at the same time, you don’t want people to miss the things you’re trying to do.”

Nick Jackson also spoke about AEW’s schedule of running 4 PPVs a year.

“We enjoy taking the three months to build a proper program and things like that because I feel like the payoff – which is the pay-per-view – makes it seem like a bigger thing,” said Nick Jackson. “I feel like that’s why we’ve kept getting 100,000-plus buys every three months because we make it feel special.”

As for why it was time for the Young Bucks to turn heel, Matt Jackson offered up the following explanation:

“Especially with us, because we’re executives at this company – we’re executive vice-presidents of AEW – and we told everybody that we helped put together the tag-team division, so it’s really hard for people to look at us as those same punk-rock Young Bucks that we were years ago, the ones that spat in the face of tradition – the ones that broke all the rules. It’s hard to break the rules when you’re the ones making the rules now.”