Last week, AEW presented a War Games style match titled Blood & Guts from Daily’s Place in Jacksonville. According to PW Insider, WWE management hated the match with at least one person believing it will have serious negative implications for the industry.

“That just set the business back 30 years,” one person from WWE management reportedly said anonymously to PW Insider.

The match featured several wrestlers bleeding and Chris Jericho being pushed off the cage at the end.

The term “Blood & Guts” was actually a reference to similar criticism lobbied against AEW by Vince McMahon. At WWE’s 2nd quarter earnings call in 2019, McMahon stated he didn’t feel TNT would put up with AEW’s “blood and guts” approach for too long.

“As far as competition is concerned, the old adage is ‘competition is good for everyone,’ I think that’s generally the case,” McMahon said on the call about AEW. “We’re hoping that, to the extent that they are competition, they don’t continue with blood and guts and gory things that they have been doing, which would be bad. I can’t imagine, I can’t speak for TNT, but I can’t imagine they would put up with that.”

WWE has had similarly violent matches and segments recently, however. At Extreme Rules in 2020, Rey Mysterio‘s eyeball was completely removed from his head in storyline. Bray Wyatt was also set on fire recently on WWE RAW.