Maxwell Jacob Friedman threw Chris Jericho off the top of the cage following the conclusion to last week’s double-cage Blood & Guts match. The ending of the match has drawn polarizing reactions from fans. Jericho discussed the “big spot” recently on his Talk is Jericho podcast.

Jericho noted that there was a 6 inch mat and several empty cardboard boxes to break his fall. He also noted that he just missed hitting his head on the stage lights. He then spoke in regards to hearing negative feedback about the spot.

“It was only later on that I started hearing that people thought the fall was on a crashpad and it didn’t look great,” Jericho said. “For me, I watched it back, I thought it looked amazing. The thing that was really scary is that if you watch it back, I barely missed hitting my head on the lights at the back of the stage. I went so far back that I almost overshot everything.”

“Everybody in the business knows how dangerous this can be, how terrifying it is and just the margin for error is so slim. Like I mentioned earlier, there is some hardcore wrestling fans that were bagging on it, that’s fine, you have the right to bag on it and out of the 1.3 million people that watched, like I said if 3,000 people didn’t like it, that’s a very small percentage. Most people thought it was crazy as did I.”

“It’s one of those things that I hope you enjoyed it because you will never see me do it again. Ever. And I’m glad it turned out the way that it did.”

Jericho also addressed the Blood & Guts match taking place at the beginning of the feud with the Pinnacle rather than being the blow-off.

“Originally, we had kind of thought about doing (the match) later on,” Jericho said on the show. “But then it was decided let’s do it earlier. I think Tony came up with the idea and we thought about it and we thought why does Blood & Guts have to be the blow-off to the feud? Why can’t it be kind of the kick-off? I mean, we built it with these promos.”

“I think it blew everybody’s mind that we did it right out of the gate,”
he continued.