Cesaro will finally be getting a one on one world title shot this Sunday. Though at a time it felt like the opportunity would come much earlier. That was when the former champion was paired with Paul Heyman in 2014. Heyman’s other client at the time, Brock Lesnar had just ended The Undertaker‘s streak at WrestleMania 30 and Cesaro had won the Andre The Giant Memorial Battle Royal.

The Swiss Superman recently had an interview with DAZN where he talked about this pairing and explained why it didn’t work. The interviewer first mentioned how Heyman had commented on the topic recently and said that he was coming off of the big storyline with Brock and Undertaker. It felt like the destination was still to go back to that story and Cesaro was used as a placeholder.

Replying to the question, Cesaro admitted that Heyman’s assessment was right. He said that he learned a lot from Paul Heyman during their pairing but the advocate used their time together to talk about Brock Lesnar more than him. The former US champion was the second fiddle at the time and the pairing was more beneficial for Heyman:

“I’ll say this much. I learned a whole lot from Paul, and I still do. But I agree 100 percent with Paul’s assessment because that’s 100 percent right. Paul used that opportunity to talk about Brock Lesnar and, I was second fiddle at that point. He even said that in the Talking Smack interview that he did. He said that he knows that alliance was more beneficial to him than it was for me.”

Apart from this, Cesaro also talked about things such as his early career in WWE, not getting the opportunity at the world title for so long and more. He will be challenging the universal champion Roman Reigns for his championship at the upcoming WrestleMania: Backlash event this Sunday.