Asuka is one of the most decorated champions in modern-day WWE. She’ll have a chance to win the RAW Women’s title again as well this Sunday at WrestleMania Backlash. There was a time when Asuka was ready to give up on her pro-wrestling dream, however. She spoke to ET Canada about the experience.

“I want to say to Asian girls, don’t give up on your dreams! When I was 16, I wanted to be a WWE superstar. One day I asked my mom can I be a WWE superstar, and she said, ‘No, you have to go college! I also told my high school teacher, ‘I want to be a WWE superstar.’ She laughed and said, ‘Don’t be silly.’ I was shocked.”

Asuka continued to say that she gave up on her dream and decided to go to college. She began training as soon as she graduated, however. She’d hit another obstacle in 2006, however.

“I had no choice,” she continued. “I gave up on my dream once, I went to college and after graduating from college, I started training, I couldn’t give up on my dream. My friends gave me confidence, ‘You can do it, you can do it!’ I called a wrestling company in Tokyo. I left my hometown of Osaka, Japan. Now I am a WWE superstar. Don’t give up on your dream!”

Asuka’s pro-wrestling dream hit another rough patch in 2006 when she retired due to chronic inflammation of the kidneys, a condition known as Nephritis. She didn’t wrestle a match from December 2005 until September 2007. It would be Asuka’s mother, who had once implored her not to go into wrestling, that encouraged her to not give up on her dream, however.

“I had a problem, but I want to entertain people. It’s my goal. My mother told me I have to fight again,” Asuka said of this time.

Asuka’s sometimes friend sometimes rival Becky Lynch has a similar story. After debuting in 2002, Lynch retired (aside from a couple of appearances) from 2006-2013 before being signed to WWE. It seems notable that two of the greatest women’s wrestlers in the world both toyed with the idea of giving up around the same time.

Asuka was also asked about potential opponents she would like to face one day. She listed some surprising names!

“I want to wrestle with Triple H and Ric Flair,” Asuka teased. “I fought many great WWE superstars. Oh, [I want to wrestle] Ronda Rousey. One day!”