Wrestling legend Don Kernodle has passed away. He was 71 years old. He had reportedly been dealing with health issues prior to his passing.

Kernodle won the NWA World Tag Titles on 3 occasions with 3 different partners. Sgt Slaughter and Kernodle won the belts in September of 1982. He then won the titles along with “Cowboy” Bob Orton in January of 1984.

Kernodle would later win the belts with Ivan Koloff in May of 1984. He also twice held the NWA 6-man titles along with Ivan and Nikita Koloff. Kernodle twice held the Mid-Atlantic tag titles with Jim Nelson. He was recently inducted into the George Tragos/Lou Thesz Professional Wrestling Hall of Fame.

Numerous people from within the wrestling industry have been posting online in tribute to Kernodle.

“Sorry to hear of the passing of Don Kernodle He was 1 hell of a wrestler loved all his Mid Atlantic stuff former 3 time NWA tag champ Always enjoyed talking w/him every time I saw him,” Tweeted Tommy Dreamer.

“Another day filled with sad news as we learn of the passing of Don Kernodle at the age of 71. We send out our condolences to his friends, fans and family, thank you for the memories Sir. R.I.P. Don,” Tweeted the Cauliflower Alley Club.

The National Wrestling Alliance is saddened to hear about the passing of multi-time NWA Tag Champion Don Kernodle. Our thoughts are with his family and friends.
RIP Don

— NWA (@nwa) May 18, 2021

After A Tremendous Day With Mongo Yesterday, I Arrived Back At The Hotel To Hear That My Friend Don Kernodle Had Passed. One Of My Best Friends And A Great Wrestler In The 70’s & 80’s. I Cannot Thank You Enough For The Friendship And Great Times We Shared. RIP!

— Ric Flair® (@RicFlairNatrBoy) May 18, 2021

WWE is saddened to learn that Don Kernodle passed away at the age of 71.

WWE extends its condolences to Kernodle’s family and friends.

— WWE (@WWE) May 18, 2021

RIP Don Kernodle. Any fan of Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling remembers The Final Conflict in March of 83 in Greensboro. It’s wrestling at its best

— Tony Schiavone (@tonyschiavone24) May 18, 2021

As a rabid 7 year old wrestling fan, Don Kernodle was the very first man to allow me into a professional wrestling ring. For me, it all truly started there. The trainer of my trainer, and a long time family friend.

RIP, Don.
— Andrew Everett is more athletic than you (@_AndrewEverett) May 18, 2021