Will Ospreay has had a rough month. It started with an injury that ended up forcing him to relinquish the IWGP heavyweight title. Now it appears that the damage may be more serious than first thought.

NJPW had not revealed a lot of details about his condition when they announced that the title is being vacated. They only confirmed that the former champion is dealing with a neck injury.

The high-flying star has now provided an update on his condition himself. Ospreay made a tweet earlier today revealing that the doctors fear that his back may have similar issues as to his neck:

Had my physio pop over the house today & after further digging I’m now being referred for another MRI on my lower back as well for fears I may have the same issue in my neck.

Things ain’t looking good, but I’m determined to comeback this year

Thanks for all the support.

— (@WillOspreay) May 26, 2021

Though the good news for fans is that the former ROH star seems determined to make a wrestling return before the end of the current year. So it appears that his issues are not career-threatening.

Will Ospreay had reached the peak of his NJPW journey recently when he formed a new United Empire stable. He then went on to defeat Kota Ibushi at Sakura Genesis to become the new IWGP heavyweight champion.

Since an exact timeframe for his return is not known at the time, it’s hard to say if the young star will continue his NJPW run when he returns to the ring. We will keep you posted on his status.