Kenny Omega was the top North American talent to work in NJPW, but when he left the promotion for AEW, NJPW had to find someone to fill that role and they decided on Will Ospreay.

Ospreay rose up the ranks and eventually became the IWGP Heavyweight Champion. However, after winning it earlier this year, Ospreay had to vacate it due to an injury.

Omega did an interview with Sports Illustrated and spoke about Ospreay no longer being the champion. He started out by noting that he pulled aside Ospreay and Jay White when he left to tell them it’s in their hands to represent “at least the western expansion and the pride of the foreigners” because he knew NJPW would look to them to carry it.

The reason he told them was that he knew it was a likely scenario and also hoping to light a fire under both of them. He continued by noting that Ospreay really came into his own and made a complete career shift, and he was going to be a fantastic champion. Omega thinks Ospreay became the person that he needed to be the champion of the company.

“Unfortunately, becoming champion wasn’t enough for him. He tried to fill my shoes. Physically, even though he is one of the most gifted performers to ever step foot in the ring, there is only one Kenny Omega—and you can’t fill those shoes.

Thus, now his belt is vacant, so perhaps it was always meant to be my belt and my belt alone. That’s not me making a firm statement as to whether I’ll make a venture out there, just that there is no one there that can fill my shoes or override my legacy. When Ospreay comes back, he’ll have to re-analyze who he is and who he’s meant to be, because he’s not meant to be me.”

Omega will defend the AEW World Heavyweight Championship against PAC and Orange Cassidy this Sunday at Double Or Nothing.