Konnan has been helping provide wrestlers with opportunities for decades in professional wrestling. Many talent currently enjoying success in the business today first had their talents recognized and promoted by him. Konnan recently spoke to SI.com about his role in the industry.

“I really love what I do,” Konnan said. “Identifying and cultivating talent, that is so much of what drives me. Look at someone like Franky Monet. Seeing her 10-year journey, and being along for that, it’s incredible. I’m so happy for her.”

The former Taya Valkyrie now known as Franky Monet in NXT was a big star for Konnan in AAA beginning in 2012. Valkyrie was a long-standing Reina de Reinas Champion in the promotion. She’d also work with Konnan in Impact Wrestling before signing with WWE earlier this year.

“I love what I do. When I’m working with these kids, I know I’m seeing them take these steps to greatness.”

Konnan also spent some time during the interview discussing Santana and Ortiz. The current members of the Inner Circle were managed for a longtime in Impact Wrestling by Konnan.

“I’ve loved those guys since I met them,” Konnan says. “I call them my lucha sons, and I am incredibly proud of them. They have put in so much work to get to where they are. And they never forgot about me, so that meant a lot to me.”

AAA has a big card coming up this summer. Triplemanía XXIX features several big matches including: Psycho Clown vs Rey Escorpion (Mask vs Hair), Kenny Omega defending the AAA Mega Championship against Andrade, and Faby Apache vs Deonna Purrazzo in a Reina de Reinas vs Knockouts title for title match.

“We’ve got so much attention for this show from the United States, but AAA is going through litigation and may not be able to show it here,” Konnan said of the show. “We’re so proud to have this match, this dream match, and it’s a match that will live up to the expectations.”

AAA is being sued by Lucha Libre FMV who allege they have the rights to market the promotion in the United States.

“Plus, we’ll have Deonna Purrazzo and Faby Apache in a title vs. title match, and our most popular wrestler, Psycho Clown, putting his mask on the line against Rey Escorpión, which is a feud that has been building over three years. I’m hoping, between now and August, something changes and this card will be seen in the United States.”