Shingo Takagi defeated Kazuchika Okada at Dominion yesterday to win the vacant IWGP World Heavyweight Championship. The new champion spoke to the media following his victory. NJPW1972.com has translated Takagi’s first comments as world champion.

“I am the third IWGP World heavyweight Champion, Shingo Takagi, and I am pretty damn tired,” Takagi said. “I went through the wringer last night, finally shut my eyes around 4AM, and then woke up at 7, got on the Shinkansen (bullet train), and wasn’t able to nod off there either. But y’know, waking up this morning and having the belt there in my room let me know that it wasn’t all a dream and what happened was real.”

Takagi was defeated by the former champion, Will Ospreay, before he vacated the title. Ospreay was supposed to face Kazuchika Okada at Wrestle Grand Slam but the event was cancelled. Then Ospreay was forced to vacate the title due to neck injury.

“I mean, in Fukuoka with Ospreay, losing that match could have put me to the back of the line,” Takagi continued. “I figured I wouldn’t get back to this point for quite a while. But then, I don’t know whether you’d call it luck or what, but Ospreay gets hurt and goes back to the UK, and then I’m in this title match.”

Following his victory, Takagi called out former champion Kota Ibushi. Takagi also spent some time talking about Ibushi following his title victory.

“I have my reasons for coming to New Japan in the first place, but getting to throw down with Ibushi, that was definitely one aspect. Having a proper place for us to square off. We didn’t start out as New Japan guys, but a few years ago it hit me that the guy I want to fight the most is in NJPW, and if I want that to happen then I have to be in NJPW too. Then October 2018 I arrived, and two years, what, eight months later… I wouldn’t call that a rapid ascent. I’m 39 this year, I can’t afford to take things slow.”

Takagi would continue to say that Ibushi has not yet given him a response to his challenge. It seems rather certain Ibushi will become Takagi’s first title challenger, however.

“Anyway, I am now the third IWGP World Heavyweight Champion, but apart from that, nothing’s changed about me. Just like normal, I’m gonna fight like Shingo Takagi fights, bring the fire and tear it up! That’s all I’ve got to say.”