AEW is set to go back on the road July 7th. The promotion spent the majority of the pandemic running shows from Daily’s Place in Jacksonville. During a recent interview with UPI, Tony Khan was asked why AEW never decided to do a video wall similar to what many sports and WWE ended up doing.

Khan noted that he did get some pressure to run his pandemic shows with virtual fans.

“I didn’t want to have a video wall, and I pushed back when I got pushed to do a video wall. It was a fine idea and WWE did it, but it wasn’t what I wanted to do. I respect it, it’s good and it’s economical, but I wanted to continue to find a way to do the shows for the fans every week. And the fans at Daily’s Place supported us. We built like a wrestling territory having a weekly audience. I’m really proud of that.”

“And the fans at Daily’s Place supported us. We built like a wrestling territory having a weekly audience. I’m really proud of that.”

AEW’s first four shows back on the road will be special branded episodes. The first show back “Road Rager” on July 7th will feature Cody Rhodes vs QT Marshall in a strap match. Following Road Ragers, 2 nights of Fyter Fest will lead into Fight for the Fallen at the end of July from Charlotte.