Tony Khan can stand back and be proud of everything AEW has achieved so far. Not only have they flourished in the early years of their formation, but they did so in the face of a global pandemic. An event that challenged the world and changed the face of sport for over a year.

AEW made the choice to resist the call for virtual fans. Choosing instead for an open-air stadium as part of Tony Khan’s Jacksonville Jaguars complex.

During a recent discussion on Barstool’s Pardon My Take podcast, Tony Khan spoke about AEW, and especially their core PPV Double or Nothing.

Khan was proud of the way both editions of the annual show have turned out, making a bold claim against WWE’s own premier PPV, Wrestlemania.

“I’ll tell you something; Double or Nothing last year and this year, in my opinion, was a better show (than WrestleMania). I liked this year’s WrestleMania a lot better than last years. They had some fans this year and everyone there worked their ass off both years. This year I thought, both (were) good shows. They did a two-night show, and it was a good show. But I thought Double or Nothing this year was outstanding, and it was the best wrestling show of the year so far. And last year Double or Nothing, during the pandemic, it kicked the s**t out of WrestleMania last year. The pandemic version last year? Not even close. Double or Nothing was a much better show.”

Tony Khan is a businessman at heart, and it is natural that he will think his product superior. However, it is interesting to see the pressure that AEW has already placed on WWE. A bigger name, a bigger brand, with unquestionably more history. To be confident enough to make such claims already speaks for both Tony Khan and the way he runs his business.

Looking at the strides AEW has made in their first year. The addition of a second weekly television show, as well as the formation of two dark shows. The names they have signed both in the ring and out. It all speaks of the clarity of vision Khan has for the product, and the passion he brings to his job.