Melissa Coates, aka Super Genie, has passed away. The 50-year-old had been Sabu’s valet in recent years. Prior to that she’d had stints with WSU, NWA Anarchy, and had worked as an extra for WWE on multiple occasions.

Last year, Coates had a leg amputated below the knee due to issues with blood clots. Her cause of death is not immediately clear, however.

News of her passing was first passed on by the Cauliflower Alley Club.

“Everyone here at the CAC is deeply saddened to hear the news that Super Genie Melissa Coates has passed away. We send out our sincerest condolences to her family, friends and fans. May they find comfort in the memories left behind during this most difficult time. R.I.P. Melissa,” the organization wrote on Twitter.

Everyone here at the CAC is deeply saddened to hear the news that Super Genie Melissa Coates has passed away. We send out our sincerest condolences to her family, friends and fans. May they find comfort in the memories left behind during this most difficult time. R.I.P. Melissa.

— CauliflowerAlleyClub (@CACReunion) June 24, 2021

The NWA’s Velvet Sky posted that Melissa had been helpful and supportive to her during health issues she went through.

When I was going thru my health issues last yr, Melissa Coates, @RealSuperGenie reached out to check on me & sent me this message of encouragement. Goes to show what a sweet, amazing person & friend she was.I’ll miss her so much. Rest in eternal peace, my beautiful friend.

— Velvet Sky (@VelVelHoller) June 24, 2021

Saddened to hear of Melissa Coates’ passing tonight. I didn’t know her that well, but I worked with her some during my time in OVW. Coates (that’s what we called her. Never Melissa) wasn’t under WWE contract then but I trained with her a few times and she was at all the show….

— Lance Storm (@LanceStorm) June 24, 2021

Bayley also posted the following:

I had my very first match against Melissa Coates. There’s always a forever connection when you share the ring with someone and I’m honored to have that with her. Thank you for being so sweet, helpful and busting my brace face open. I’ll truly never forget you.

— Bayley (@itsBayleyWWE) June 24, 2021

“Coates was always super nice and friendly and on the occasion when we’d see each other at a signing or convention we were always happy to see each other again. RIP Melissa Coates,”
Lance Storm continued.

Just heard of the passing of my long time friend @RealMelisCoates (@RealSuperGenie)
1 of the kindest,most genuinely nice people I’ve ever met.She loved wrestling SO much & was trying to raise enough $ for a prosthetic to get back in the ring. My condolences to @TheRealSabuECW

— Velvet Sky (@VelVelHoller) June 24, 2021

“We are deeply saddened to learn of the passing of Melissa Coates – better known to IMPACT fans as Super Genie, the manager of Sabu. We offer our heartfelt condolences to her friends and family,”
wrote Impact Wrestling on Twitter.