Ethan Carter cut a beleaguered figure during this stint with WWE. Having started his career with the company, he made a name for himself in IMPACT wrestling, starting during their TNA days. Holding multiple championships in the company, EC3 was a man with a bright future. When WWE came calling, he took the chance but was released less than two years later, having failed to make any form of impact.

Now, he is back wrestling regularly, after signing a contract with Ring of Honor. The move came as a surprise to some after he made a brief return to IMPACT in 2020. While talking to Wrestling Epicentre recently, EC3 addressed the reason for signing with ROH over the other offers he received.

“Ring of Honor is something I’ve never done. And it’s a storied brand and a legacy that is reinventing itself. It’s finding its own new purpose. It’s something that I want to help build and create. I don’t want to go somewhere where I’m just an interchangeable part. I want to go somewhere, create something, build something, make something special happen based on the hard work I can put in.”

EC3 is only 38 years old. He still has enough years ahead of him to make his mark on the industry. His time with IMPACT showed that he has what it takes to be not just a champion, but a main event name for a company. Ring of Honor is the perfect place for him at this stage of his career.

Positioned in a company that is proud of what it does and who appreciates creativity and allowing the story of wrestling to be told.

EC3 continued his career resurgence this weekend when he took on and beat Flip Gordon at ROH Best of the World. With that victory behind him, surely it won’t be too long before he starts hunting down the ROH championship belt.