Malakai Black didn’t spend a lot of time on deciding which company he wanted to sign with after his WWE release. As it turns out, an old conversation with late Jon Huber aka Brodie Lee helped him in this decision.

The former WWE star recently appeared on The Wrestling Perspective podcast. He talked about things such as his desire to work with NJPW and more.

Discussing his decision to sign with AEW after his release, Black revealed that the name of the promotion popped into his head on the same day because of a conversation he had with Huber:

“I’ll be completely honest with you, the day I got released, AEW popped into my head. I had so many friends there. One of the last conversations I had with Jon Huber, rest in peace, he told me, ‘You’d love it here. You’d have so much fun here.’

That kind of always stuck with me because him and me,”
said Black, “Every once in a while, would talk and there have definitely been moments where I was very frustrated.”

The former NXT champion was released from his WWE contract back in early June. He made his AEW debut during the July 7 episode of Dynamite.

Later reports revealed that WWE had forgotten to update Black’s contract when he was moved to the main roster. He was able to sign with AEW because his non compete clause with WWE lasted only 30 days, which is a standard for NXT talents.