There is no denying that Adam Cole is one of the hottest wrestling sensations right now. One of the most unique things about his persona is his catchphrase.

The former NXT champion recently had an interview with Chris Van Vliet. He discussed things such as how his Twitch streams have become a vital part of his life, potentially doing an angle with Britt Baker in AEW, and more.

On the topic of his famous catchphrase, Cole said that he has been doing it since 2009. Revealing the origin of it, Adam recalled seeing Joey Matthews during an indie event of Maryland Championship Wrestling:

“Joey Matthews [Joey Mercury in WWE] was on the show, and he was in the finals of the Shane Shamrock Memorial Cup. He was the heel, and he was just walking around going “Joey Matthews!” and putting his fists up in the air, and he said it so many times.

I remember sitting there and thinking that is so smart. If you are not really a hardcore wrestling fan, if you remember one name from that show, it’s going to be Joey Matthews.”

Adam Cole then explained how he came up with the idea to incorporate this taunt into his own character, with some inspiration from Chris Jericho:

“So I thought how can I incorporate that into my own thing? I’m a huge Chris Jericho fan, and when he would stand on top of someone, flex and go “come on baby!” I was like oh, I will do “Adam Cole Bay Bay.””

Cole also talked about leaving WWE for AEW and how things came together very fast. He said that he wants to make it clear that he had a great 4 year run in WWE.