New IWGP United States Heavyweight Champion Will Ospreay wants to be as associated with NJPW as AJ Styles was to IMPACT Wrestling.

Styles was often considered the heart and soul of IMPACT due to his long run with the promotion that began at the first IMPACT event in 2002. During his time with the promotion, the Phenomenal One would become a multi-time World Champion, a six-time (and inaugural) X-Division Champion, a five-time Triple Crown Champion, and hold various other accolades. Even after his IMPACT career ended, Styles has been associated with the promotion and made an appearance during last year's Slammiversary event.

In New Japan Pro Wrestling, Will Ospreay has been making his own name and recaptured the IWGP U.S. Heavyweight Championship at Forbidden Door. During the post-show media scrum, Ospreay was asked what's the next 'echelon' for him and referenced Styles.

"I guess the next level for me is, I want that run. I think everyone — especially when it comes to New Japan. For myself, I want that run of everybody — do you remember when companies were a little bit on the downside? For example, like when TNA was on the way down, you’d always be like, ‘At least they got AJ [Styles].’ Do you know what I mean?

“I want to be like that with New Japan. I want to be like, even if there is any rocky road or anything along those lines. Especially during the pandemic, it was a f**king nightmare. I can’t tell you enough, I would not wish that upon anybody at all. But I did that because I geniunely love my company, I really do. But I want that run, especially like with everything how it looks, I want to put on the best physical work that I can."

Ospreay's victory over Kenny Omega at Forbidden Door makes the British wrestler a two-time IWGP U.S. Heavyweight Champion. During the scrum, Ospreay added that he is open to competing at the much-anticipated AEW All In 2023 event in London, England, later this year.