Lionel Messi was unveiled at his new club Inter Miami on Sunday in a glamorous stadium.

He was presented with his pink No 10 jersey in a ceremony in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, that left the packed stadium soaked after a downpour.

The glitzy unveiling came just one day after Major League Soccer (MLS) and Inter Miami finalised 36-year-old Messi's signing through to the 2025 season.

He will reportedly be paid between $50m and $60m a year.

"I'm sure we're going to have many wonderful experiences," Messi told the crowd.

"I'm very much moved to be here in Miami, to be with you. I want to thank you, all of you, on behalf of my family, for the kindness that you have given me," he added.

David Beckham, the club's co-owner and president, said during the telecast of the show: "Tonight is a typical Miami welcome for one of the greatest players to ever have played the game.

"The fact that we have our fans in here, celebrating this moment... this is what we have created and we're very proud of that."

The stadium during the unveiling

The club's primary owner Jorge Mas told the crowd: "When David and I first met and we dreamt of what Inter Miami represents, it started off with the freedom to dream.

"And we dreamed of not only bringing elite players and the best players but the best player to ever don boots - and his name is Lionel Andres Messi."

Inter Miami is currently in last place in MLS as they grapple with an 11-game losing streak.

Messi previously played for FC Barcelona, and led Argentina to the World Cup this past December.

news.sky.com