Kevin Spacey found not guilty of sex crimes in UK trial; Actor “Humbled” by jury’s verdict

Kevin Spacey has been found not guilty in his sex crimes trial in London.

The House of Cards and American Beauty star was facing nine charges at Southwark Crown Court, including sexual assault, which were alleged to have been committed between 2001 and 2013 and relate to four men. Speaking outside the courthouse in the past few minutes, Spacey, who turns 64 today, said he is “humbled” by the jury’s decision. (See the video below.)

Spacey had tears in his eyes as the jury cleared him of the charges. After 12 hours and 26 minutes, the jury panel acquitted Spacey of seven counts of sexual assault, one count of causing a person to engage in sexual activity without consent, and one count of causing a person to engage in penetrative sexual activity without consent. The defendant placed his hand on his chest, looked at the jury panel and mouthed “thank you” twice before they left the room.

The double-Oscar winner had denied all charges – saying the allegations against him were “madness” and a “stab in the back.”

“I imagine that many of you can understand that there’s a lot for me to process after what has just happened today,” Spacey said outside the court. “But I would like to say that I’m enormously grateful to the jury for having taken the time to examine all of the evidence and all of the facts, carefully, before they reached their decision. And I am humbled by the outcome today.”

Here’s his post-trial statement: