Sineád O’Connor death not “suspicious”, says London metro police; Cause not yet disclosed

The cause of singer Sinéad O’Connor’s death has not been disclosed, but London’s Metropolitan police say the death is not being treated as “suspicious.”

In a statement released to press today, police said officers were called to a residential address in the Herne Hill area of south London yesterday at 11:18 a.m. on a report of an “unresponsive woman.”

“Officers attended,” the statement continued. “A 56-year-old woman was pronounced dead at the scene. Next of kin have been notified. The death is not being treated as suspicious. A file will be prepared for the coroner.”

O’Connor had only recently moved back to London after more than 20 years away, tweeting that she was “very happy to be home.” She was hospitalized last year after posting disturbing tweets after her 17-year-old son Shane died by suicide. She recently wrote that she has “Been living as undead night creature since. . He was the love of my life, the lamp of my soul. We were one soul in two halves. He was the only person who ever loved me unconditionally. I am lost in the bardo without him.”

The singer-activist’s family confirmed her death yesterday, releasing a statement reading, “It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of our beloved Sinéad. Her family and friends are devastated and have requested privacy at this very difficult time.”

Her death prompted an outpouring of tributes from fellow musicians, fans and Irish dignitaries. Read a selection blow.

A portrait of Sinead O'Connor outside the Hard Rock Cafe in Dublin

In a social media post Thursday, the members of superstar Irish rock band U2 quoted from “Heroine,” a song by credited to The Edge, Larry Mullen Jr. and O’Connor from the 1986 film Captive: “Touch these eyes with a broken smile, Touch my mouth with your furrowed brow, Lift my heart, heal my shame , Lead me into rest again .. Heroine.. Rest In Peace Sinéad.”

“I hope there’s peace for Sinéad at last,” tweeted country star Jason Isbell about O’Connor, who very publicly battled mental health issues over the years.

Billy Corgan of Smashing Pumpkins wrote on Instagram, “Fiercely honest and sweet and funny, she was talented in ways I’m not sure she completely understood. But Sinéad stands alone as a figure from our generation who was always true to the piercing voice within and without. And for that I will always admire and respect her. And never forget that she was once cancelled for an act of simple resistance. Her crime? Tearing up a photo.”

“Respect to Sinéad….. She stood for something,” wrote Ice-T. “Unlike most people…. Rest Easy.”

O’Connor, posted British musician Tim Burgess, “was the true embodiment of a punk spirit. She did not compromise and that made her life more of a struggle. Hoping that she has found peace.”

Bear McCreary, the TV and film composer whose credits include Outlander – O’Connor sang the haunting theme song for the 2023 season opening titles – wrote that he was “gutted” by the loss.

“She was the warrior poet I expected her to be — wise and visionary, but also hilarious,” McCreary wrote. “She and I laughed a lot. We were writing new songs together, which will now never be complete.
We’ve all lost an icon. I’ve lost a friend.”

O’Connor was also praised by Irish Prime Minister Leo Varadkar, who tweeted that her “music was loved around the world and her talent was unmatched and beyond compare…Ar dheis Dé go Raibh a hAnam.” The latter phrase is roughly translated as “May her faithful soul be at the right hand of God.”

Melissa Etheridge, Susanna Hoffs and others also posted tributes. Read them below. Deadline will update this post as new ones arrive.