Tributes poured in Monday after it was revealed that Paul Reubens, the actor who made Pee-wee Herman famous, died after a private battle with cancer. He was 70.

Reubens turned Pee-wee into a one-man franchise, from the influential kids TV show Pee-Wee’s Playhouse through three feature films — 1985’s Pee-wee’s Big Adventure, 1998’s Big Top Pee-wee and the 2016 Netflix pic Pee-wee’s Big Holiday — and even a Broadway play.

He also appeared on everything from Mystery Men (as Spleen) to Murphy Brown, and stole scenes in the likes of Batman Returns and Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

“Paul Reubens was like no one else – a brilliant and original comedian who made kids and their parents laugh at the same time,” Jimmy Kimmel wrote today. “He never forgot a birthday and shared his genuine delight for silliness with everyone he met. My family and I will miss him.”

Said Danny DeVito: “Really loved working with him. Very sad.”

Colleagues and friends sharing their tributes on Reubens’ Instagram page include:

Marisa Tomei: “No no no . Oh heart break”

Judd Apatow: “This is devastating news. We got to spend many years working with Paul on Pee Wee’s Big Holiday and got to see his genius and kindness up close. He made the world so happy! Some of the biggest laughs I have every experienced was watching him perform live. He is irreplaceable.”

Sara Gilbert: “Paul – you were the kindest and most generous of spirit. i will never have another birthday without thinking of the pictures and videos you would send all day. you always made me feel so loved and special. i hope to be half the friend you were. you are missed. love you forever, peewee.”

Clint Howard: “Oh my. What a loss. RIP Paul. Keep the angels laughing.”

Will Sasso: “We love you forever, Mr. Reubens.”

Ricki Lake: “I. Am. devastated. Paul was my friend for decades. I can’t believe it. Almost nothing was more enjoyable than a meal with Paul. Rest in peace, my sweet friend.”

Camryn Manheim: “My heart just fell into a million pieces. I love you Paul. I have saved everyone of your Christmas cards and birthday wishes. You are a kind and gentle soul and I’ve always loved being in your orbit. Rest in peace my friend.”

Sandra Bernhard: “A true genius glad I got to work with him so sad.”

Jason Hervey: “Love you Paul….This hurts.”

Adam Goldberg: “I met him barely and briefly a few times and he was so lovely.”

Here are more reactions: