Iconic chat show host Sir Michael Parkinson has died aged 88.

The veteran presenter was best known for his chat show Parkinson which first aired on the BBC in 1971.

His personal one-to-one interviewing format became and instant hit and he interviewed some of world’s biggest stars including Muhammad Ali, Elton John, John Lennon, Orson Welles and Madonna, to name a few.

A statement from Parkinson’s family said: “After a brief illness Sir Michael Parkinson passed away peacefully at home last night in the company of his family.

“The family request that they are given privacy and time to grieve.”

The British television talk show Parkinson ran from 1971 to 1982, and again from 1998 to 2007, and made Parkinson a household name in the UK.

He also rose to fame in this country when he hosted Parkinson in Australia, interviewing many notable guests including Olivia Newton-John, Bob Hawke and Dame Edna Everage.

In one of his more memorable interviews, he was attacked by an emu while interviewing Rod Hull.

Parkinson described Australia as “his second home” and became the first non-Australian to give an Australia Day keynote address in 2011.

Speaking to Tracy Grimshaw on A Current Affair in 2009, Parkinson said he had always liked Australia.

“From the very moment I arrived here, I enjoyed it,” he said.

Parkinson’s plain-speaking style has been emulated by a string of famous interviewers.

An audience with Michael Parkinson
His most memorable interviews

Tributes have poured in from around the world after news of the interviewer’s death broke on Thursday evening.

Elton John paid tribute on Instagram today, calling Parkinson “A TV legend who was one of the greats.”

David Beckham shared a photo of he and wife Victoria being interviewed on Parkinson’s chat show with the message: “We say goodbye to the best… Waking up to the sad news of Michael Parkinson passing I was so lucky to not just be interviewed by Michael but to be able to spend precious time talking about football and family our 2 passions.”

British actor and comedian Stephen Fry said on Instagram: “Having grown up watching him interview greats, my first appearance on Parkinson was impossibly thrilling for me.

“The genius of Parky was that unlike most people (and most of his guests, me included) he was always 100% himself. On camera and off. ‘Authentic’ is the word I suppose.

Comedian Eddie Izzard said Parkinson was the “king of the intelligent interview”.

Parkinson once revealed his most remarkable interviewee was Muhammad Ali and said the one celebrity he wished he could have got on the show was Frank Sinatra.

He said his most formidable interview was with Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, who took a disliking to Parky from the start.

“I did have to chat to him once, for a charity, and it was not a success - at all,” he said.

In 2013 the presenter said he was receiving radiotherapy treatment for prostate cancer.

He got the all-clear from doctors two years later.

Parkinson, who became fondly known as Parky, was born in Cudworth, South Yorkshire, England, in 1935.

He left school aged 16 and cut his teeth in journalism at the Barnsley Chronicle before being drafted for National Service.

After becoming the youngest captain in the army, Parkinson joined British newspaper the Daily Express.

His big break came after he was handed a weekly sports column in The Sunday Times in 1965.

Parkinson moved from newspapers to television in the late 1960s when he was offered a role on Granada as a local reporter.

He remained at the broadcaster for three years before joining the BBC to work on the late-night news review Twenty-Four Hours with Cliff Michelmore.

After a brief return to Granada where he presented film review series Cinema, Sir Michael was offered his own show Parkinson by the BBC in 1971.

During the 11-year series, Parkinson interviewed giants from the world of music, film and sport.

In 2004, he moved from the BBC to ITV and ran for three more years until the presenter retired to pursue other interests.

In 2008 the presenter wrote Parky: My Autobiography and received a knighthood.

He has also won a BAFTA and a National Television Award for his work..

Parkinson is survived by his wife Lady Mary Parkinson. The couple met at young journalists and enjoyed a 64-year marriage.

They lived together in Bray, in Berkshire, south-east England, and share three children, Michael Jr, Nicholas and Andrew.

In recent years, Parkinson preferred to keep away from the limelight and only made a few appearances in public.

He was seen celebrating cricket umpire Dickie Bird’s 90th birthday party in April.

R.I.P