Davey Boy Smith Jr. has expressed his gratitude to those who've reached out after an emergency surgery that will force him to miss an MLW event.

Smith debuted for MLW in 2018 as part of the New Era Hart Foundation alongside Teddy Hart and Brian Pillman Jr. In December 2020, Smith left the promotion but returned at Fightland 2022 last October.

Smith had been scheduled to appear at this weekend's MLW Slaughterhouse event, where he was going to challenge MLW World Heavyweight Champion Alex Kane. On Instagram, Smith revealed that he won't be making the event and thanked everyone who has reached out to him.

"I wanted to inform everyone officially I needed to have Emergency surgery late last night for appendicitis + appendix removal, to find out it was diverticulitis as well. I have had part of colon removed with some of my appendix as well for the procedure. Folks this was one of the most painful experiences of my life, but I知 glad I got it done. A burst appendix can lead to serious complications too. I知 sad to announce my withdrawal from the @majorleaguewrestling World Title Match vs. Alex Kane this weekend in Philadelphia as well. Hopefully I can get this same opportunity in the future when I知 back healthy, and so sorry to my fans, these things happen and was not something I ever want to endure again! Trust me! The was a 12/10 in the pain scale. Arigatou. I知 in stable condition now, but I am still in immense pain. I値l keep everyone posted with updates.

Thanks for everyone reaching out to me also.

-Harry"

Instead of Smith, Tom Lawlor will challenge Kane for the MLW World Heavyweight Champion. Kane held the championship for 154 days in 2019 and currently wrestles for NJPW. A partnership was announced last month that will see MLW, NJPW, and CMLL work closely together going forward.