IWGP United States Heavyweight Champion Will Ospreay has discussed his mental health challenges.

Ospreay is one of the most talented pro wrestlers at present. He has won a long list of titles both in New Japan Pro Wrestling and across other promotions. Over the years, he has gained popularity, especially with his recent matches for AEW at some of the biggest events.

He will battle fellow Brit Zack Sabre Jr at NJPW Royal Quest III at London’s Copper Box on Saturday, October 14 but he has admitted that such big matches are usually the most difficult to deal with mentally.

Speaking with Metro, Will Ospreay outlined his battle with anxiety and mental health struggles. Here is what he said:

'‘I used to be in such a horrible, dark place where me and my head just didn’t get along. Sometimes it creeps in, especially big matches. The Tokyo mach with Kenny [Omega], I can’t tell you enough how much doubt creeped into my mind with that. I get mad anxiety when I wrestle guys like Kenny.’'

He stated that part of his own mental health journey has been some level of acceptance despite public opinion. Ospreay added:

'‘It’s difficult at first, but I guess half of it is whether you care that much about people’s opinion on you anymore,’ he said. ‘I got numb to it all, “I can’t make everyone liked me!” That’s absolutely fine – if you don’t like me, that’s cool, I don’t like you either!’'

During the same interview, the NJPW star stated how having a family makes it harder to be away from home. He admitted the fact that his loved ones are in London, where he has purchased a home, while he is in Japan which further contributes to his mental health issues.

'‘My mental health, my depression, my anxiety are huge factors into my performance – especially when you’re away from your family, and you’re left in the hotel rooms.''

Will acknowledged that having the support of his loved ones has helped him start to get over his "demons." He concluded:

'‘The most important thing for me is my family, and as long as that’s all good, my demons don’t really creep in anymore,’ he said. ‘I’ve found a real big balance.’'