Sammy Guevara was eagerly looking forward to a triumphant hometown return. However, it seems that his aspirations for a comeback have been put on hold due to an unfortunate setback in his recovery.

The setback stemmed from a concussion that Guevara suffered during the 2023 WrestleDream pay-per-view event. In that spectacular trios tag match, Guevara joined forces with Konosuke Takeshita and Will Ospreay to face off against wrestling icons Chris Jericho, Kenny Omega, and Kota Ibushi. This battle culminated with Guevara pinning Chris Jericho.

As Guevara geared up to return, the hope was that he would make his comeback during the AEW Dynamite episode set to take place in his hometown of Houston, Texas. This would have made for a great comeback moment.

However, in a disappointing turn of events, Guevara experienced a "setback" in his recovery from the concussion, as reported by Dave Meltzer on Wrestling Observer Radio. The setback had raised doubts about his ability to be medically cleared for his eagerly anticipated return in Houston.

Despite expressing his desire to put on a show for his hometown fans, Sammy Guevara shared on Twitter that he had not received the medical clearance he needed to make this homecoming a reality. He conveyed both the good news, that he was feeling better with each passing day, and the bad news, that he was not yet cleared to compete. Guevara humorously ended his message with "F*ck Chris Jericho," referencing his ongoing feud with the wrestling legend:

"Good news, bad news. Bad news I’m not cleared yet. Good news everyday I’m feeling better. Sorry Houston I really wanted to put on a show for y’all. Hopefully next time. Also F*ck Chris Jericho."