Back in 2015, Sting was forced to retire due to a neck injury following a lackluster WWE run. Fast forward to December 2020 and "The Icon" made his triumphant return to wrestling at AEW's "Winter Is Coming" show. He saved Darby Allin and Cody Rhodes from Ricky Starks and Powerhouse Hobbs.

In 2021, Sting would align himself with Allin. The duo would face Team Taz (Ricky Starks and Brian Cage) in a pre-taped Street Fight at Revolution 2021. They would team up again at Double or Nothing against Men of the Year (Scorpio Sky and Ethan Page).

Over 19 matches, Sting and Allin would wrestle in either tag teams or trios matches. Sting and Allin would form Dudes With Attitudes with Shingo Takagi to face Bullet Club (Young Bucks and El Phantasmo) at the inaugural Forbidden Door.

Earlier this year, Sting and Allin went to NOAH to team with Great Muta at Great Muta's Final "Bye-Bye". They defeated the team of Naomichi Marafuji, AKIRA, and Hakushi.

During the Forbidden Door media scrum, Sting said he wouldn't be wrestling much longer. He did say his retirement match wouldn't be at Wembley and that he didn't have a specific date.

We now have a date. While addressing the fans during Dynamite, Sting named some of his greatest opponents, including Lex Luger, Hulk Hogan, and Ric Flair.

"I started my very first match with AEW was Revolution 2021, and my very last match will be Revolution 2024! One more key thing that you need to know, the only thing for sure about Sting is my retirement at Revolution 2024 is for sure."

Later in the night, Sting would save Allin from Christian Cage by putting him in a Scorpion Death Lock.