2023 may have been a milestone year for AEW World Champion MJF, but it has also been the most difficult year of his life.

After capturing the AEW World Championship at Full Gear 2022, MJF walked into 2023 full of his usual bravado. At Revolution, MJF retained his title against Bryan Danielson in AEW's first Iron Man match. MJF would best Darby Allin, Sammy Guevara, and Jack Perry at AEW Double or Nothing, before retaining in the main event of the historic AEW All In pay-per-view in Wembley Stadium. Mere hours before the main event with Adam Cole, Better Than You Bay Bay would capture the ROH World Tag Team Championships.

While MJF has had an incredible year in the ring, 2023 has also come with its own share of hardships. Taking to Twitter, MJF addressed his challenging year and promised to reveal more when the time is right.

This will feel random but I just wanted to say I’ve been doing this since I was 18 and there were times I questioned if I belonged or if I was good enough to be involved in something I hold at such a high regard.

2023 has been a year that has challenged me more physically and emotionally then any year of my life. One day I’ll tell everyone what stuff went down in my personal life….

But it’s also been the most amazing year as well. I can say confidently I’ve never loved this sport more.

I’m excited for the present and the future.

I wanted to thank everyone who ever told me I was great.

And everyone whoever told me I wasn’t good enough.

It all drives me to reach for my ultimate goal of going down as one of the greats.

Thanks for following my career.

Thanks for loving something I cherish and hold dearly.

Thank you Poors.

Thank you Pro wrestling.

During a February 2023, episode of Dynamite, MJF made a comment in a promo about his fiancee at the time Naomi Rosenblum leaving him. It was later confirmed that the pair had split and his comment was not a work.