There was a point where Colby Corino hit rock bottom. The son of the former ECW champion turned WWE trainer and producer Steve Corino went down a slippery slope. Drugs and run-ins with the law cost the 27-year-old numerous opportunities. However, rather than be a statistic the father and husband got his life in order and found renewed motivation in the NWA.

His hard work paid off in the form of winning the junior heavyweight championship from Kerry Morton at the NWA 75 show. Next up is defending the gold at NWA Samhain against Joe Alonzo on October 28. More than a title on the line the challenger has made things personal by bringing up Corino’s family and past missteps.

“I think everything happens for a reason,” Corino said. “Everything happens the way it should. Maybe Colby going to WWE at the moment wasn’t the right time. Maybe it will happen in the future. I don’t know. I’ve landed in the NWA. I think I’m exactly where I need to be. Winning that junior heavyweight championship was something I needed to do for myself. Ever since the belt came back in March of last year, it felt like I was always chasing after it. I felt like I was challenged for it like seven times and never won it.

“I felt selfishly I should have won it. The belt was something I needed to cross off the resume. It’s something I needed to do to get to the next level. Who knows what else is in the works? I love being the junior heavyweight champion, but eventually, maybe I have to beef up and win the title my dad had, the world heavyweight championship. So much of my wrestling history and what I watch is not WWE. I would watch the Indies and stuff from Japan. There are so many things I have on my bucket list that I have to do to have a complete career and portfolio before I sign off and sell my soul so to speak.”

Despite everything he has been through, a constant has been his dad’s belief in him. However, at the end of the day, the second-generation talent ultimately wants people to look at Steve as Colby Corino’s dad rather than him being known as Steve Corino’s son.

“We have a pretty good relationship,” he said. “I can’t say just how proud he is of me, but he tells me pretty frequently. He is not one of those people who are not hardened and I’ve only heard it once in my life. He has always been one of my biggest supporters. Sometimes I think he is too nice and takes it easy on me. Sometimes I’ll send him something, and I’m trying to get his feedback as a coach or producer from where he is. I feel like he is too soft on me.”

Corino grew up watching his former ECW, NWA and MLW heavyweight champion dad do his thing. It’s added motivation to follow the example set, which includes unwavering toughness. He is looking forward to showing more of his hardcore style in the NWA against Alonzo, who has made their match personal.

“The levels he and I are on are completely different. I’ve been wrestling for 15 years,” Corino explained. “This is what I do for a living. I’ve been doing this full-time since I was 18. I go pretty hard. I don’t have an easy schedule. I’m sliced up and about to wrestle three more times this weekend. I think the fact he has to take digs at my family is a little overcompensation…..I see that in these promos. He has to say this stuff because he can’t get people excited by what he does in the ring.”

Corino recently got more than 10 stitches after going to the hospital following a violent Deadlock Pro Wrestling match. He says he’ll be 100 percent with the stitches out by the pay-per-view match. Following the match may be another story.

“It’s a pillar to post. I’m told falls count anywhere in that building. I’m going beat his ass all around that building,” he said. “If you watched me on the independent scene, you know I can get down and dirty. I’m a pretty tough MFer. I don’t know about him. I don’t see him doing these matches all the time. I don’t see him jumping off 20-foot ladders through tables. I don’t think he has the gene in him. I’ve been waiting for the NWA to give me the ball with these kinds of matches. Frankly, I think I’m the greatest hardcore wrestler in the NWA.”

The young veteran takes pride in being part of a hungry and dedicated locker room. He feels there is indeed a new era in the NWA. That it’s more than a hashtag.

“Everyone is super excited about what comes next. We are all led by [NWA world heavyweight champion] EC3. This man is a hard worker and leads by example. Not only that, but he is willing to help anyone who wants help and wants to put in the work.

“He is not one of those people who are protective of the spot you hear about in these wrestling books. He wants to bring everyone up with him. The NWA is on the upswing I have a reason to believe it has something to do with him too. He has this aura he brings to the locker room to push everyone up to the next level. I’m here to work for it like everyone else is. I think everyone is stepping up to the plate.”

And the timing couldn’t be more perfect for that mentality as NWA owner Billy Corgan has teased two TV deals with a “Top 20” network. Haus of Wrestling is reporting that he is referring to The CW, which would be an exponential boost to the promotion’s visibility.

“We as wrestlers know just about as much as anyone else on the internet,” Corino said. “The backstage murmurings are we do have a TV deal, and it’s a couple of TV deals too. For a reality show and Powerrr. The CW thing was news to me when I read it. I guess time will tell if that is true. I’m excited either way with what is about to happen with the NWA. We’re about to return to TV, and that’s a pretty big thing.”

When asked about any additional filming backstage at recent tapings, Corino does lead one to believe there is a new project on the horizon. “We definitely noticed some cameras that aren’t our camera crew around,” he added. “’ll leave it at that.”