Olly Alexander, pop star and Bafta-nominated actor in Russell T. Davies drama It’s a Sin, will represent the UK in the next Eurovision Song Contest.

The news was revealed during the final of BBC1 dance competition show Strictly Come Dancing last night. “I love Eurovision so much, it’s a dream come true,” said Claudia Winkleman.

The decision breaks with the usual process in the UK, with the BBC usually veiling its Eurovision plans in the new year. Last year’s British entrant, Mae Muller was second to last as Sweden won through Eurovision icon Loreen won.

The Swedish city of Malmö will host the 68th edition of the global singing contest, which airs across Europe on public broadcasters and around the world.

Alexander’s Eurovision song, co-written with Due Lipa songwriter Danny L Harle, will be revealed in due course.

Alexander was previously the frontman of Years and Years, but is now releasing music under his own name. The trailblazing star has two UK number one albums and was recently awarded the Brit Billion Award, with 6.5 billion streams of his music globally). His performance Channel 4’s AIDS epidemic drama It’s A Sin won Best New Drama at the National Television Awards, and he was nominated for Leading Actor at the 2022 BAFTA Television Awards.

“As a young boy I always looked forward to this incredible event of unbridled joy, the wonderfully chaotic mix of musical styles, theatrical performances, heartfelt emotion and humour,” he said. “I really can’t believe I’m going to be a part of such a special legacy and fly the flag for the UK in the gayest way possible, it shall be an honour.”

Kalpna Patel-Knight, Head of Entertainment at the BBC, added: “To have an artist of Olly Alexander’s calibre representing the UK in Malmö in 2024 is testament to just how much the BBC wants to keep momentum of Eurovision riding high since the UK had the honour of hosting the contest on behalf of Ukraine in Liverpool earlier this year. Olly is the perfect ambassador for the UK as both an immensely talented and world renowned artist and passionate fan of the competition.”

Eurovision 2024 will comprise a pair of semi-finals and the grand final. They will be held on May 7, 9 and 11.