AEW afforded Jon Moxley the opportunity to pursue his interests in other pro wrestling companies, and he has made the most of that. During his time on AEW television, Moxley made his way to the ring on many occasions with the IWGP United States Title over his shoulder. It was his title to hold throughout the pandemic, but it's nobody's title anymore.

Jon Moxley won the IWGP United States Title from Lance Archer at Wrestle Kingdom 14 on January 4, 2020. Then the pandemic struck, and he held that title until July 21, 2021, when he dropped the title back to Archer at AEW Fyter Fest in a Texas Death Match.

Moxley actually held the IWGP United States Title prior to that. On June 5th, 2019, Jon Moxley won the belt at the Best of the Super Juniors 26, but he dropped it a short time later after failing to make the trip back to defend it due to Typhoon Hagibis.

The IWGP United States Title was destroyed by David Finlay in a shocking move on December 11th, 2023. In its place, the company will have the IWGP Global Heavyweight Championship. Still, to see the US Title go in such a way was hard to watch.

While speaking to NJPW's website, Jon Moxley opened up a bit about the IWGP United States Title's abrupt deactivation. He understands the business, but he did put everything he could into representing that title while he held it.

"There are a lot of belts in this business. A lot of championships, and a lot of guys walking round with all kinds of gold and silver on their shoulder or their waist. But a championship is what you make it. It’s how you represent yourself. The championship you wear is a representation of who you are. Your guts, your heart, your fighting spirit, and where you draw the line in the sand between you and your opponent. It says that you will give no quarter and no-one will take it from you.

I put a lot of heart and soul and hard work into that IWGP United States Championship, and I do not take kindly to David Finlay smashing it with a big stupid Mario Kart hammer.

Belts hold up your pants, but championships are a much different thing. The gall it took for Finlay to do what he did, I kind of admire it, but it really does piss me off."

David Finlay destroyed the IWGP U.S. and U.K. titles at Power Struggle. NJPW Chairman Naoki Sugabayashi later announced during the Wrestle Kingdom 18 press conference that a replacement title would be introduced.

The jury is still out on how the IWGP Global Heavyweight Championship will be represented. Jon Moxley still might have a bone to pick with the Bullet Club leader over how he treated the US Title.