New Japan's Hiroshi Tanahashi has always desired a management role with the promotion and now he has the chance to make big things happen as President.

The former IWGP World Champion was announced as NJPW's new President last week in a move that took many by surprise. The promotion's longest-tenured talent, Tanahashi made his debut in October 1999 after graduating from the NJPW Dojo. In addition to his new role as NJPW President, Tanahashi is one-third of the current NEVER Openweight 6-Man Tag Team Champions.

On their official website, New Japan shared a transcription of a press conference in which Tanahashi discussed his new role. First, he spoke about how happy he is to accept the position of President.

"I always carried a dream and ambition to be President as well as an active wrestler. I’m happy to be able to make that happen, and I’m grateful for all the kind words of support that I’ve gotten since my appointment."

When asked when the decision was made for him to become the new president, Tanahashi said the matter was discussed during a dinner with Bushiroad president Takaaki Kidani in November.

Tanahashi then shared some big goals that he has planned now that he is in a position of considerable influence.

"I have some key goals that I would like to meet in my time as the President. First of all, I want to sell out the Tokyo Dome. This has always been the goal for me. For a wrestler to walk down the ramp in front of a sold-out Tokyo Dome crowd is something to be proud of forever."

Tanahashi added that having more title matches outside of major cities is a major goal of his to strengthen connections across Japan.

"I want to unite all of Japan’s wrestling fans in their passion and carry that to the Tokyo Dome. I also want to further increase our work with sponsors. Our sponsors are the best tag partners that we have, and as an active wrestler as well as President, I’m in a completely unique position to strengthen that relationship."

Tanahashi's first test as New Japan's President will come next week with Wrestle Kingdom 18. In addition to NJPW talent, the show will feature stars from AEW and Pro Wrestling NOAH.