The 16-year run of Kazuchika Okada with New Japan Pro Wrestling will end very soon, the promotion has confirmed Thursday evening.

Okada debuted for New Japan in 2007 and has since gone on to become one of the promotion's biggest stars. He is a five-time IWGP Heavyweight Champion where his fourth reign with the championship is the longest in history at 720 days.

He is also a two-time IWGP World Heavyweight Champion, having held the gold more times than any other wrestler. Currently, he is one-third of the NEVER Openweight 6-Man Tag Team Champions.

In a statement, New Japan confirmed that Okada's contract will expire on January 31. Despite this, Okada will appear on February dates on February 11 in Osaka, and February 23 and 24 in Sapporo as part of the New Beginning series of events.

New Japan apologized for the abrupt nature of this announcement. In a statement, Okada was thankful for his NJPW tenure:

"I have nothing but gratitude for having been a part of New Japan Pro-Wrestling since 2007, and for NJPW bringing me from a 19 year old kid off the plane in Mexico to the Rainmaker I am today. Thank you to the best of companies in NJPW, to the best of opponents that I’ve been able to face here, and to the best of fans that have cheered and booed over the years. I promise to make it rain in every match I have left, so keep watching."