NJPW legend Kazuchika Okada is departing the promotion and his rival Hiroshi Tanahashi has best wishes for him.

'The Rainmaker' is set to end a 16-year run with NJPW after his contract expires on January 31. Okada will still work on February 11 in Osaka, and February 23 and 24 in Sapporo as part of the New Beginning tour.

Fans will be able to witness a clash between Okada and Tanahashi for one final time on February 11 at The New Beginning at the EDION Arena in Osaka. It was at this same venue where Okada faced Tanahashi at The New Beginning in 2012. Okada had secured a stunning win that night over Tanahashi and captured the IWGP Heavyweight Championship.

Kazuchika Okada's last appearance under the NJPW contract will take place on January 24 in Korakuen Hall. Ahead of Okada's departure, Tanahashi spoke with Tokyo Sports and shared his thoughts on working with 'The Rainmaker.'

“I can only express my gratitude in the sense that I have contributed to New Japan for the past 12 years,” Tanahashi said (as translated by Fightful). “Speaking personally, I would have liked to have seen more matches with the new generation (Shota Umino, Ren Narita, Yota Tsuji, and Yuya Uemura).”

“However, if I feel for Okada, I know that he has done enough in New Japan. I hope he will spread his wings to the world. If he is going overseas with what he has achieved at the top in New Japan, I hope that he will show (them) Kazuchika Okada. It’s the same feeling I had with Nakamura. I am very proud of him. I think things will get interesting from now on. We have an abundance of talent right now, and there are a lot of young fighters in the dojo. When the rain stops, there will be a rainbow. Who will light up the future of New Japan when the rain of money stops falling?”

Okada's departure will certainly leave a void that the NJPW fans will feel. The memories of Okada's legendary matches with Tanahashi will be cherished by the fans for the times to come.