'The Rainmaker' Kazuchika Okada could have things easy if he stayed in New Japan Pro Wrestling, but the departing star is hungry for a new challenge.

Last week, it was confirmed that Okada's contract will expire this month. Despite this, Okada will work the New Beginnings event scheduled for February, as a sign of respect to the promotion. Once these are finished, the former IWGP Heavyweight Champion will be a completely free agent.

New Japan Pro Wrestling has been very good to Kazuchika Okada, so it's not hard to see why there'd be a temptation to stay. In an interview with Tokyo Sports, however, Okada explained that this comfort in New Japan was a factor in his decision to leave.

“Maybe if I stay here, I can wrestle without any inconvenience. But I don’t want to become the same Kazuchika Okada without such hunger.

"I don’t want to be in a situation where I have to rest on my laurels. If I were “human” Okada, I would have friends here, and I would be in the best environment. But as “wrestler” Okada, it was different.”

Given his talents, it's no surprise that both AEW and WWE are interested in bringing Okada on board. The Rainmaker has a history with AEW, as he competed at last year's Forbidden Door event against Bryan Danielson. With that said, Okada has always dreamed of wrestling at WrestleMania, an aspiration that those in WWE, including CCO Triple H, are well aware of.