New Japan Pro Wrestling is in a unique era under the leadership of President and active wrestler Hiroshi Tanahashi. After getting the position on December 23, 2023, fans have wondered when the NJPW veteran would take a step back from wrestling. However, Tanahashi has confirmed he will continue wrestling and wants the IWGP World Heavyweight Championship.

In an interview with Yahoo Japan, Tanahashi shared that he aspires to become the world champion and aims to be the best.

Yahoo Japan also transcribed the following quotes.

"The fighting spirit disappears when I no longer aim to be the best. If I feel like I can't reach it or can't do it anymore, I'll retire immediately," said Tanahashi.

He continued, "I want to aim for the throne no matter what so that people won't think, 'No, I don't get tired (lol). I'll bring my body to its peak once again."

While Tanahashi hopes to lead NJPW into a new era, some fans are worried about if he can separate his two jobs. He is in a unique position, being the boss of his peers and looking to win titles.

Tanahashi's year is off to a great start as he begins his first year as the NJPW President and active wrestler. He defeated Zack Sabre Jr. at NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 18 on January 4 to become the NJPW World Television Champion. Since then, he has successfully defended the title once against Ryusuke Taguchi at NJPW New Year's Dash on January 5.

His next big match will be against longtime rival and former IWGP World Heavyweight Champion Kazuchika Okada.

For the 'Rainmaker's' last match under NJPW, he'll take on Tanahashi at NJPW The New Beginning In Osaka on February 11. It's unclear who will win, but Tanahashi is seemingly the favorite to be victorious.

If the momentum continues for Tanahashi, he could potentially enter the 2024 NJPW New Japan Cup and earn a chance to challenge for the IWGP World Heavyweight Championship.

This year is looking great for Tanahashi. Hopefully, he can find balance as the NJPW President and wrestler.