A big return is on tap for WWE and it's good timing considering the company is rolling down the road to WrestleMania 40. In the latest Wrestling Observer, Dave Meltzer reports that Rey Mysterio will be medically cleared to return in a matter of weeks.

Mysterio had to underwent knee surgery, a procedure that was necessary, and due to that was written off television to give the WWE Hall of Famer time to recover. Mysterio was sent off in a memorable way as it was his former LWO member, Santos Escobar, who attacked him, leaving the legend laying and out of the equation for the foreseeable future.

However, Rey's return has been a bit delayed according to his own schedule as the former WWE Champion was hoping to make a return at the Royal Rumble.

Rey previously noted on an episode of K100 that he has to factor in slowing down his ring style, but even so, the legendary luchador can still get it done at a high level.

"I know that I'm slowing down, the older I get, but I can make things look faster just by being in the business so long, that keeps the fans the perspective of 'he hasn't slowed down.' I can go out there every time and pour it out. I don't know how to hold back."

The options could be open for Mysterio when he makes his return to WWE programming as it would seem likely for him to continue a feud with Escobar, but due to his star power, WWE creative may not be against putting him into a high-profile program.

Rey actually had one of the most memorable matches at WrestleMania 39 last year when he defeated his son, Dominik Mysterio, in a showcase battle. Just recently Dominik admitted that he doesn't know where he'll fit in the WrestleMania puzzle, but is open for anything.