Robert Roode could wrestle again if he wanted to in theory, but is more than happy remaining a backstage producer for WWE.

In December 2022, Roode would undergo neck fusion surgery, months after his previous match with WWE. The following year, the former NXT Champion's career faced another setback in the form of a second neck fusion surgery.
Robert Roode is Green Lit to Wrestle

With his wrestling career uncertain, Roode has been working as a producer at WWE events and has been well-received in the role. On a recent edition of the Insight podcast, Roode was asked about the possibility of wrestling again and revealed he has been green-lit to compete.

"Ironically enough, I just got green-lighted. The fusion has completely fused. So as far as looking at it from a medical point of view, it's safe to get back in the ring I guess.

"But at almost 48 years old, given the opportunity I've been given now, to work as a producer, which was my goal coming to WWE almost eight years ago, I'm quite happy doing this. And I feel like I've had a good run as they say and I'm happy to be doing what I'm doing now."

When asked about even a one-off appearance, possibly in a Royal Rumble match, Roode admitted it was possible but made clear his days of being a full-time WWE Superstar are over.

"You never know, yeah, sure. Could I do this full-time? There's no way I could. Look, to be honest, the injury, I have three levels that are bad. The level six and seven are not good either."

During the interview, Roode admitted that he would like to have one last match, but explained why it's unlikely. He also addressed the mental struggle his injury has made him face.

"I don't, mentally, think I could take the risk of going back in the ring and working a full-time schedule. Just knowing that. I feel like I look differently too. You know what I mean? I always kind of prided myself on how I looked on Television. I love being in the gym and working out and when you physically don't look the same, it's a mental thing as well for me.

"I think everybody would like to have one last match right? But sometimes, when the wheels fall off, the wheels fall off. That's the nature of the beast and this sport and this industry."

On the podcast, Roode discussed his first neck fusion surgery, which came about after an injury from years earlier started causing him issues. Roode was rather fortunate to learn that he needed the surgery considering he wasn't feeling any pain as a warning sign.

"The thing was I wasn't living in any pain. I didn't have any pain. I could go through the day without feeling any sort of pain. But the issue with me was my strength. When I started losing strength, I started losing muscle in my right arm.

"And that scared me because the first thing I thought of was Paul Orndorff and his injury. And that's what was happening to me. I was starting to atrophy in my shoulder and in my bicep."

Arm atrophy from a nagging injury led to Orndorff being forced to retire in 2000. He was inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame in 2005.