John Cena's recent comments about Vince McMahon and the lawsuit against him will come back to haunt him, according to Vince Russo.

McMahon stepped down from WWE one month ago due to the shocking allegations made against him in Janel Grant's lawsuit. McMahon has claimed that the litigation is rife with fabrications and has claimed he is completely innocent. Former WWE executive John Laurinaitis, who is named in the suit, has claimed he is a victim, not a predator, in this situation.

Few WWE Superstars have closer ties to McMahon than John Cena who owes a wealth of success to McMahon's booking of him in the 2000s and 2010s. When asked about the allegations, Cena did speak about accountability but also spoke about his deep love the the ex-WWE Chairman.

Many have taken issue with Cena's comments, believing he put too much emphasis on his love and respect for McMahon as opposed to the allegations made by Miss Grant. Sitting down with Sportskeeda, Vince Russo shared his surprise over this blunder by the usually well-spoken Cena.

“I am reading Cena’s comments, and I am like, he is going to get hammered for this… I knew Cena was going to get killed for this. There is no way he is NOT gonna get killed for this. I just wish he would have said, you know, you could love him."

Russo added that Cena isn't the only Superstar who's comments about McMahon missed the mark.

"Same thing with Orton, you know, ‘made your career,’ this that and the other thing. But man if it’s me, I am gonna say all that, but I am also gonna say, ‘But if he is found guilty of these charges… he is gonna have to take full responsibility.’ At least say something like that.”

John Cena is hoping to do 'something' at WrestleMania 40, which is now less than 40 days away. Cena hasn't appeared for WWE since his Crown Jewel 2023 loss to Solo Sikoa. At this time, there are no confirmed plans for Cena this April in Philadelphia.