The infamous spot involving Rikishi at the WWE Armageddon 2000 pay-per-view almost led to the legend becoming a divorced man, he has revealed.

The spot in question took place during the six-man Armageddon Hell in a Cell match for the WWF Championship held by Kurt Angle at the time. In unquestionably the most memorable spot of the match, The Undertaker threw Rikishi off the top of the cell and onto a truck that Vince McMahon had driven to ringside. Angle would retain his title in the match which also featured The Rock, 'Stone Cold' Stever Austin, and Triple H.

Even over 23 years later, the fall from the Cell is what many think of when they think of Rikishi. When speaking to the Metro newspaper, the WWE Hall of Famer recalled his family being furious that he allowed himself to take the bump.

"I almost got divorced from my family. It was like, you know, they were p***ed off that I did that move, the sacrifice. But, at the time, they didn’t understand that’s just what we do, as performers, as wrestlers."

Rikishi's family were right to be concerned about his safety, as the former Intercontinental Champion explained how badly things could have gone.

"This flatbed [truck] had no railings on the side during the walkthrough. But during the show, when this flatbed came out, there was railings. So now, my whole nervous system just went berserk.

"Because if I didn’t hit that target my whole body go right through that aluminum rail. I mean, I wouldn’t be sitting here talking to you."

Mid-match, the Undertaker told Rikishi he didn't have to go through with the spot, but the superheavyweight was determined to do it for the fans. When the spot happened, Rikishi's body was left in panic mode.

"I didn’t know if I was still alive. Trying to move my move, I was just still – all I could hear was “Holy s**t”. I said, “Okay. My ears work”. But I was just waiting for my body."

Rikishi added that he received a standing ovation backstage after the match, which meant a lot to him.