It wasn't weed that led to Matt Riddle violating WWE's wellness policy, despite what some may believe, but instead the use of cocaine, the ex-Superstar has revealed.

Riddle, alongside other wrestlers, was released from the promotion in September of last year, mere days after WWE parted ways with over 100 staff members from their offices in Stamford. Riddle was one of the biggest names released from WWE, a list that includes Dolph Ziggler, Mustafa Ali, Shelton Benjamin, and others.

During his time on WWE's main roster, Riddle was subject to stop-start pushes, which many fans at the time suspected was due to the usage of drugs. Speaking on the MMA Hour this week, Riddle said he failed wellness tests in WWE after testing positive for the usage of cocaine.

"I went to the strip club and did cocaine a couple times. I failed a drug test for that. That was for all of them, it was cocaine each time."

Riddle added that WWE did not indicate as to when talent would be tested. After failing two tests in short succession, Riddle vowed to clean up his act. True to his word, Riddle's next tests came back negative, but after he decided to celebrate with some partying, a random test came back positive. Later in the interview, he addressed his time in rehab.

"They can't make you do anything, but it's 'go or...' 'Okay, I'll go.' I went for the 30 days, I left, and when I left, they made a recommendation that they wanted me to stay for another 30 days and I was like, 'I said I would do 30 days, I don't want to do another 30 days.' I missed Christmas and New Year's. I learned my lesson."

Though he's no longer with WWE, Matt Riddle has bounced back nicely. The Original Bro debuted in New Japan last month and very recently captured the NJPW World Television Championship. Riddle has also returned to Major League Wrestling. He will be a part of tomorrow evening's Intimidation Games event, where he will defend his NJPW World TV Title against Big Bad Tito.