Wrestling legend and All Elite Wrestling Commentator Jim Ross is preparing to slow down his career. He recently signed a new deal with the company to stay around as he hopes to use his years of wrestling broadcasting to good use. However, it seems this year could signal the end of his time as an AEW Commentator.

On his podcast, Grilling Jr., Ross said he believes this year could be his last as a commentator. The episode is currently on AdFreeShow Patreon, but WrestlePurist's Twitter account was able to transcribe the following quote.

"...It's realistic to think that (this will be last year in commentary). I'm 72 years old, I feel good, I get healthier every day, which is great, but I have to think realistically this could be my last year and more than likely will," said Ross.

He also noted that his situation is still being determined and that his future as a commentator depends on himself and AEW President Tony Khan. Ross has shared that his new deal isn't an extension but an entirely new contract. The company could use him in other business areas if he were to be removed from commentary for good.

His wealth of experience as a former WWE Executive Vice President of Talent Relations makes him very valuable for helping behind the scenes. He can also coach other potential AEW broadcasters to help them follow in his footsteps. That said, Ross seems to have started preparing himself to finish his phenomenal career as a commentator.

One of the positive news Ross shared recently is that he is getting healthier after having surgery to remove cancer in his right hip. He had surgery on February 1 and seems to be recovering fine with the assistance of a walking cane.

On the March 7 episode of Grilling JR, he noted that he had his cane with him when he did commentary for AEW Revolution on March 3. He also reassured fans that he really uses it to initially move after being stationary for some time and that he feels good.

Khan has shown that he values Ross's contributions to the broadcast team and ensures he is comfortable on the job. While it's unfortunate that this may be JR's last dance as a commentator, fans should celebrate the work he is still doing for AEW.