WWE has to keep a lot of things in mind when they are producing live television. The words that talent say on the microphone can get heated, but they shouldn't get profane. That changed for a couple promos in recent memory.

Dave Meltzer confirmed that there was a memo sent out to everyone regarding using profanities in promos. Cody Rhodes was allowed to use profanity to maintain his babyface persona, because he had to fire back at The Rock's recent promo.

Cody Rhodes took the microphone this week on WWE RAW, and he had a lot to say. He dropped a few profanities that the company isn't allowing on their shows anymore. There is a good reason why Rhodes got to swear, because he was answering The Rock.

Dave Meltzer mentioned on Wrestling Observer Radio that there was indeed a memo circulated to everyone, confirming the situation regarding Cody Rhodes' promo. Despite the memo, Rhodes was given the opportunity to deliver the promo with profanity because WWE wanted to maintain his babyface persona. This decision aimed to prevent Rhodes from appearing negatively compared to The Rock, who had a successful promo the previous week.

"No, there was a memo. Everyone got it. I asked, "What was the deal? And it’s like, they knew that he [Rhodes] had to come back. But there’s absolutely a memo. I got that from several different guys, there's been other reporters who have too. That’s not nothing. No one else is allowed to do that. But he was given the opportunity to do it because basically they wanted him to stay babyface, essentially. And I mean, if he came off badly on this promo and Rock came off so great in Memphis (last week’s SmackDown), it’s like, that’s not what they want. But he was fine. You know, he brought his dog in. I mean, it’s like, that’s all it is.”

The Rock raised a bit of controversy when he was allowed to drop profanities in his promos on television, and even more online, after WWE sent out a memo telling talent to cut out the language. Since he's The Rock, then he can get away with a lot more.

It was later reported that The Rock can get away with so many profanities because WWE sends the scripts into FOX for approval beforehand. Therefore, they know what dirty words are coming, and the bleep button is ready.

A tenured member of the creative team said, "We only started giving FOX The Rock's promos in advance this week after they went to total blackness every time he cursed last time."

Nick Khan, Paul Levesque, Dan Ventrelle sent out a memo "the other week" about how talent needs to adhere to PG guidelines on TV and also on social media. The Rock, like most things in his life at this point, is getting a bit of special treatment, and he got to say whatever he wanted to, regardless of guidelines.

There was an idea that a double standard is going around when it comes to promos. Now, it appears that Cody Rhodes is allowed to loosen up with the profanities as well.