Standing at 197cm tall and with a reach of 202cm, Sebastian Fundora represented the biggest challenge – both literally and figuratively – in Tim Tszyu’s professional boxing career yet.

"Blood & Guts Battle!" - Tim Tszyu vs. Sebastian Fundora | Full Fight Highlights | Main Event

But it was also an extra few centimetres that proved Tszyu’s undoing on Sunday afternoon, with a deep cut to the Australian’s head a critical turning point as Fundora claimed a split decision victory (116-112, 115-113, 112-116) at T Mobile Arena, Las Vegas to become the new unified champion at 154 pounds.

It was Tszyu’s first defeat of his professional career, although it is hard to be critical of the Australian given how dramatically the fight shifted after an errant elbow from Fundora in the second round.

Tszyu had the best moment of the opening round as he got through with a right hand that snapped Fundora’s head back “like a Pez dispenser” according to Maura Ranallo in commentary.

Tszyu continued to get through with straight right hands in the second round too, peppering away at Fundora in a calculated and clinical early showing from the Australian.

Fundora, on the other hand, looked timid and afraid to leave himself open to counters as he failed to throw anything of serious note in the opening two rounds.

There was drama though despite Tszyu’s early dominance with the Australian champion suffering a serious cut to the top of his head after a stray elbow from Fundora.

“He is definitely coming up like a man who sees red,” Ranallo said, noting Tszyu sensed the urgency to end the fight or risk the cut worsening.

Hall of Fame trainer Joe Goossen, meanwhile, said in commentary it was an “urgent” situation for Tszyu.

Fundora also sensed the opportunity too, increasing his aggression in the third round as he took it right to Tszyu, starting to land more clean shots with the Australian’s vision compromised, as Abner Mares noted.

“He can’t see anything at all,” the four-time champion said.

Fundora, who was doing well to box early behind his jab, was also bleeding from his nose and revealed after the fight that he had suffered a broken nose.

“You know in the first round, I was like ‘Damn, I didn’t want to break my nose today’. But my Dad said to our cutman, ‘we’ve been bleeding our whole life. This is boxing, you’re gonna get hurt. You just gotta be smart’,” Fundora said.

But Tszyu was still in more danger as a result of his cut and it saw his activity drop as a result.

It was a dramatic shift in the fight, with Fundora landing 47 jabs to Tszyu’s 21 through seven rounds while Tszyu was not fighting at the “same pace and rhythm” as he usually would according to Mares.

Veteran ringside reporter Claudia Trejos later said entering the 10th round that Tszyu’s corner were “betting” on the Australian being able to punch his way to a finish before the final bell.

Accordingly, Tszyu started to increase his activity in the 10th round, landing a nice one-two combination and the Australian, while not throwing as many punches as Fundora, was the more accurate of the two during the fight.

Tszyu finished the fight landing 175 of 400 total punches compared to 194 of 721 for Fundora.

Fundora though never stopped throwing the jab, landing 93 of 437.

A gutted Tszyu said post-fight: “I told you I’m an old throwback fighter. I couldn’t see, but all credit belongs to the man who won tonight.”

Speaking of the cut, he said: “You know what? These things happen. The momentum was rolling, I was swinging hard in the first two rounds and then boom, you’re blinded completely.

“This is boxing, this is part of the sport. This thing happens.

“Congratulations to Fundora, he’s the new king of the 154 (pound division),” he added.

As for what comes next, he said: “We’ll bounce back. The arena showed up. I showed up still, no matter what. I’ll always bring the fight.

“I was given one week, no excuses. I’ll fight whoever, whenever. Even Errol Spence is here, I’ll fight him. Even Terrence Crawford. You want a good scrap? You know who to call.”

Fundora reportedly agreed to a rematch clause earlier in the week and considering the nasty cut Tszyu suffered, it seems only right that the Australian will get a chance for redemption.

Fundora was full of praise for Tszyu after the fight, describing him as a “world class fighter”.

“He’s a world champion for a reason. The way I won my belt, it’s an honour to share a ring and make history with him,” he added.

FULL CARD RESULTS

Sebastian Fundora def. Tim Tszyu via SD — for the WBO and WBC super welterweight title

Isaac Cruz def. Rolly Romero via TKO — for WBA super lightweight title

Erislandy Lara def. Michael Zerafa via KO — for WBA middleweight title

Julio Cesar Martinez def. Angelino Cordova via MD — for the WBC flyweight title

Serhii Bohachuk def. Brian Mendoza via UD — for the interim WBC super welterweight title