John Cena returned for a cameo at WrestleMania 40, as he helped Cody Rhodes finish his story. He has hopes that he will be able to make it back to WWE soon enough, but this year isn't looking likely.

During an interview on the Pat McAfee Show at WWE World, John Cena expressed his desire to temporarily step away from Hollywood to return to WWE for one final run.

He mentioned his hope for the Hollywood system to slow down a bit, allowing him the chance to reunite with his WWE "family" and embark on this journey.

"I'm crossing my fingers and my toes and my heart that maybe, maybe, just maybe I can tell the Hollywood to pump the brakes for a while and come back to my family for one last run. I hope, I hope, I don't know. I'm trying. We'll see what happens."

John Cena's last run with WWE was thanks to the 2023 SAG-AFTRA Strike. He started making preparations to come back to WWE as soon as the strike started. Once they worked out a deal, Cena had to go back to Hollywood.

John Cena managed to participate in WrestleMania because Honda rescheduled a prior commitment. He mentioned that his calendar is packed until approximately Christmas 2024, but after that, he intends to return for a final stint.

So, I was grateful enough that Honda kind of bumped a commitment I had to be able to do WrestleMania, so I’ll go from here to do something with Honda."

"So I’m going straight to that. I have a cool keynote appearance with Samsung in Las Vegas. Their theme of the convention is ‘time is now’ so they called on yours truly to speak there. I’m very grateful for that. I have some more branding stuff to do before I leave for Europe to finish a movie that we started filming before the strike called ‘Heads of State’ with Priyanka Chopra and Idris Elba and then straight from that to Peacemaker season two. That’ll take us through just about Christmas and I’m crossing my fingers and toes and my heart that maybe, just maybe, I can tell the Hollywood world to pump the breaks for a while and come back to my family for one last run. I hope, I don’t know, I hope, I’m trying, I hope, we’ll see what happens."

The Peacemaker's second season is starting filming in the Summer. He also has a ton of other offers for projects of every genre. His recent film, Ricky Stanicky, is still making waves as a breakout comedic performance for the 16x World Champion. He even opened up an OnlyFans page to promote it.