Cameron Grimes has said that diving nose-first into his popular 'To the Moon' character made him recognize that his chances in WWE weren't promising.

Grimes was amongst those released from WWE as part of the first wave of cuts under the promotion's new era. The former NXT North American Champion shared news of his release in an emotional video on social media.

The 30-year-old wrestler's arguable peak in WWE came during his 'To the Moon' phase which saw Grimes become incredibly wealthy thanks to GameStop stock. On Busted Open Radio, however, Grimes revealed how learning more about business only made him realize his future wasn't looking good.

"Starting the stock market gimmick, it made me see businesses in a different light. Following these companies and playing with stocks. I would see things in a different light. So I knew [after being called up] that I hadn't worked in over a year and I'm making a decent salary. So I knew that if somebody was to look at the books, I'm going to be the first person who's going to be cut."

It's currently unclear as to why Grimes was released, but it may indeed be a case of somebody looked at the books. Now, Grimes will continue to work as Trevor Lee but will have to wait until July before he can work elsewhere. The talented wrestler has a history with TNA, where he is a former X-Division champion, but it's possible AEW could give him a call when the time is right. Whatever the future holds, Grimes will be able to appreciate the business machinations of what's to come.