Welcome to Universe of Wrestling Forums! Established in 2006!

We hope you enjoy your visits.

To get the full benefits of UOW, please register. It is quick and easy.

Benefits include:
- You can do a lot more on forums than social media sites. - Member only forums.
- Friendly members and staff.
- You lose this welcome at the top of the screen every page.
- A chatbox where you can chat in real time about wrestling or anything else.

A lot more to come as UOW is changing this year.

Click here to register!

Old = The New New

Default The Firing we all Expected

Raider elimination

Norv Turner is the fifth NFL head coach to be fired this week.

ALAMEDA, Calif. (AP) -- The Oakland Raiders fired coach Norv Turner on Tuesday following consecutive losing seasons in which the team managed only one victory in its division.

The 53-year-old Turner, who had a year remaining on his contract worth about $1.75 million US, had known his job was in jeopardy for the last two months after struggling to get the most out of star receiver Randy Moss and an offence that also included quarterback Kerry Collins, receiver Jerry Porter and running back LaMont Jordan.

Oakland lost its final six games and eight of nine to finish 4-12 and with one fewer victory than Turner produced in his first season a year ago. The Raiders have strung together three straight losing seasons for the first time since Al Davis came aboard in 1963 to coach and eventually own the team.

``I wanted to be here and appreciate the opportunity,'' Turner said in a statement. ``I understand the nature of this business. I wish nothing but the best for the Raider organization.''

Turner grew up in nearby Martinez rooting for the Raiders. His firing leaves eight coaching vacancies in the NFL.

Detroit fired Steve Mariucci in November and Kansas City's Dick Vermeil retired on Sunday. Other coaches who have been fired include Mike Martz of St. Louis, Jim Haslett of New Orleans, Mike Tice of Minnesota, Mike Sherman of Green Bay and Dom Capers of Houston.

Davis is suddenly left looking for his third head coach in five years. He ousted Bill Callahan following the 2003 season, a year removed from the Raiders' 48-21 Super Bowl loss to Tampa Bay. Turner was not Davis' top choice to replace Callahan, but Dallas offensive co-ordinator Sean Payton apparently got offered the job then changed his mind and stayed with the Cowboys.

The Raiders made major strides defensively this season and thought they would have one of the best offences in the league with the addition of Moss to a receiving corps that already included Porter and Jordan.

Turner, who has a reputation as a talented offensive coach, was hired as the organization's 14th head coach in January 2004 to invigorate a franchise that flopped after losing the Super Bowl.

There were big expectations for Turner to produce an immediate turnaround, but it didn't happen. Oakland's ineffective offence managed only 51 points and six touchdowns in its last five games and the Raiders failed to win a division game for the first time in Davis' tenure as owner. They were 1-11 against the AFC West during Turner's two seasons.

Turner is out of a job again, though he likely will be a strong candidate for several offensive co-ordinator openings if not head coaching positions.

He spent nearly seven seasons as Washington Redskins coach, leading them to a 49-59-1 record and just one playoff berth from 1994-2000 before being fired with three games left in his final campaign. He took the Raiders to Washington in November and beat the Redskins 16-13, and Turner was emotional afterward. Oakland didn't win again.

Names that have surfaced as potential successors to Turner are Martz, Baltimore offensive co-ordinator Jim Fassel, Ravens' quarterbacks coach Rick Neuheisel, former Raiders coach and current NFL vice-president Art Shell, and Fresno State coach Pat Hill, who has NFL experience.

Davis has repeatedly said he regretted firing Shell after a 9-7 campaign in 1994.

This raises the question. Are coaches being blamed more for losses? Dont the GM's get the players? Shouldnt GM's be more responsible?
    Everyone's favorite old person is back... or is he?

Guess I should have just waited to see this. It was inevitable.

Great news at last Norv Turner has finally left the building.....Now the long hunt begins for the raiders new head coach,I hope that they appoint someone with some balls who can stand up to Al Davis the way that John Gruden did and bring back the great days to the Raider Nation.
    'Without Order Nothing Can Exist - Without Chaos Nothing Can Grow'

WM 22 = Best PPV of 2006 Straight Edge's Avatar

YES! About time, Norv's a great Offensive Co-Ordinator, but this year we sucked. We haven't been really successful since Gruden left at the end of 2001 to goto Tampa Bay. And hopefully in the off-season, we can sign a good Head Coach and also bring in some really good players to make us challengers in the AFC West ince again

aww I like Norv although he wasnt a good fit for Oakland. They should bring in Mike Tice haha! I'm sure Randy would love that.

That would be f'n funny seeing Tice in there. I don't know who they should get though, theres not a big market out there right now.