credit: www.bbc.co.uk

West Ham boss Alan Pardew and Arsenal counterpart Arsene Wenger are to face a Football Association improper conduct charge over their touchline bust-up.
The two managers had to be separated following celebrations by Pardew in the technical area after Marlon Harewood's late winner for West Ham on Sunday.

Pardew has since apologised to Wenger, and the League Managers' Association is set to attempt mediation.

Wenger and Pardew have until 23 November to respond to the charges.

West ham managing director Paul Aldridge said the club would vigorously contest the charge.

"We believe Alan Pardew did no more than celebrate in a passionate manner following a crucial goal in a London derby," Aldridge told the West Ham website.

"Alan Pardew has the full backing of the board with regards to this charge, which will be defended vigorously."

The two managers could face either a fine or a touchline ban should the charge be proven.

Wenger refused to shake Pardew's hand at the end of the match, and left without speaking to the media.

Pardew issued his apology to Wenger after his side's 1-0 win at Upton Park: "I apologise if I offended Arsene. If I was over-zealous in my celebrations, which I'm sure I was, I apologise fully to Arsene and Arsenal."

He added: "We've had a tough old season here and maybe it came out.

"Arsene was annoyed with that, maybe quite rightly so, but I hope that I can iron that out and we will be big enough to look each other in the eye.

"It was nothing personal, I was celebrating the goal. I've got great respect for him and that won't change.

"Nothing was said. Maybe he was angry at a couple of decisions and it was a physical game. We wanted to upset Arsenal, we wanted to win.

"He is a top guy and I really respect him. I thought I was entitled to celebrate the goal after a pulsating game."

Pardew said he hoped to get the chance to make up with Wenger and said: "I want to sort things out. It's not right for the image of the game.

"Emotions were high but there was nothing dangerous or horrible. That is what happens with last-minute goals."