Steve Corino has announced plans to retire at the end of 2007 to focus on other things, including his WORLD-1 promotion.

Speaking via his MySpace blog, Corino said:

Although I won’t be there and it pains me more then anyone will know Colby’s second wrestling meet is on Saturday. He went 2-1 last week and made me so proud. More then the wins he showed heart and sportsmenship. Sometimes I wonder if you can teach that to kids or they just have it in them. I remember when I played baseball as a kid I was very competitive but I don’t think I was unsportsmenlike. I was never as laid back as he is though. Each week it gets harder to get on the plane or get in the car when I should be home to watch him.

That is why I came to the realization that 2007 will be my last year in the squared circle. As I approach 34 years old and my body breaks down with each match, it gets more difficult to be in the ring. It has been something that I have thought of for about 18 months to two years now but its something that I can’t stop thinking of. Believe it or not this isn’t a decision that I look at with sadness because I have done everything I ever wanted to do in professional wrestling times 1000! I have gotten to wrestle in so many countries, met so many great fans (some that have become true friends), and wrestled my heroes. I will still be involved on the other side of the business but as for wrestling in the ring December 31 will be it. It will make running WORLD-1 a little easier on me because I won’t have to worry about wrestling on the events just promote and book them.

But that also doesn’t mean I am going to just skate through the next 12 months and not try create some trouble! With my return to Japan plus Canada, Germany, Ireland, and Australia and regaining the AWA World title last week I am going to have a pretty full schedule. Unlike when I wanted to retire in 2001 out of frustration and bitterness toward the wrestlng business, this decision is based on wanting to be home more and doing something different. It is was a great 12 year ride with one more year to go! Thank you for everything to the fans, promoters, and wrestlers that I have had the pleasure to meet, hang out with, and perform with.

source: wrestlemag.com